Sunday, April 7, 2013

An update...

Ok, so here's the deal.

I haven't blogged in forever.

And to be honest, that's kind of been the trend this school year.

I'll be the first to admit, this school year has been a tough one. There have been countless rough days, nights when I've come home in tears-wondering if I can keep doing this, and some unexpected changes along the way. Blogging was something that I loved doing-and I'm sure that part of me still does, but this year has been different. I've really struggled with this class. I've had a ton of behavior issues this year and unfortunately, my class doesn't respond to much of anything, let alone appreciate anything extra that I do for them. Needless to say, it's been an incredibly trying year for me. It used to be that I found myself so inspired to try new things with my kids partly just because I was dying to share new ideas with you. But honestly, I have been so uninspired this year, that it just hasn't been something that I've been able to make myself do.

Throughout all of this craziness, the one thing that I have been really able to get excited about is my photography, so I've kind of clung to it lately. Don't get me wrong, it's not like this will be my last year teaching, but I've been really inspired to work on building my photography business lately. As some of you know, I've been doing photography for several years, but it's been more of a 'couple sessions a year' kind of thing. As of right now, I've shot three sessions this year, have 3 more scheduled for this month, one confirmed for next month, and one that's still tentative. This is huge in my book. My hubby upgraded my camera for Christmas, and ever since, I've been devouring anything I can get my hands on regarding marketing, sales strategies, technical skills, editing skills, you name it. And I love it.

So, I wish that I was providing you with all of these awesome ideas-I really do.

But for the time being, I've just really needed to take a few steps back and focus on separating myself from school when I get home.

That's not to say that I won't blog anymore this year, it's quite possible that I will. Heck, I just went to the Daily 5 conference yesterday, and it was amazing! And that pencil sharpener that everyone and their cat is talking about--I've been using it since the beginning of the year, and let me tell you, it lives up to the hype.

Oh-and did I mention that I'll be teaching 5th grade next year. Yup. That's happening.

So.

Don't completely count me out yet.

I'll be back...eventually.


8 comments:

  1. I know how you feel; this has been the toughest year of my life, both personally and professionally. Just remember that you have an entire community of support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely with you on having a trying class. I too have many behavior problems in my class (needless to say, I was warned before hand) but the year just keeps getting worse. And I almost dread going to work. My coworkers are my saving grace! I am a beyond stressed, first year, prego teacher! 34 more days, is what I keep telling myself. Also the 5th grade teachers have been telling me what a great class I will get next year...whew! I would lve to move down in grades but don't thinking will have that opportunity. We just have to stick with it, we will see better days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I know exactly how you feel. My last school post on my blog was in December. My class is.....we'll just say difficult, and our school is going through lots of changes that I am not a fan of. On top of all that I began my masters degree in January and with two kids and two jobs I am just OVERWHELMED!! Strangely though, I am excited at the prospect of possibly teaching Kindergarten next year in a whole new building. Who knew that moving down three grades and moving to a new building (after 3 moves in the last year at the building I'm in) would be exciting. I think a huge change is just the refresher I needed!! Good luck to you in photography....sometimes we need an outlet that is completely unrelated to school to keep sane!

    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you during this turbulent time and know that this year will pass and you will find your way--the right path for you. Your support system is alway a click away. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post and your honesty. I was there last year. I wish I would have had a "hobby" to fall back on.

    Hang in there and we'll be here when you get back!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar year last year. Definitely makes you question if you can keep going. Take time for yourself-- that photography stuff sounds exciting! =)

    Meg
    Third Grade in the First State

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you poor thing. I empathize completely. That was my year last year, and I was so wrung out by it. When you're spending your days treading water, you need to do what makes you happy in your free time. My inspiration returned, and I hope that yours does as well. take care of yourself, and if you need any 5th grade advice, I'd be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am moving to 5th grade next year, too! I also have not been able to blog as much as I like because I have been so busy digging through the Common Core Standards and trying to fit everything into a class like I should. I am your newest follower and look forward to reading more posts.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete