Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New look, new resource!

Ok, I know that I promised a freebie when I hit 50 followers, but, well, it took A LOT longer than I thought to finish it up.

And I mean A LOT longer.

And it certainly doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist and spent a insane amount of time moving text boxes around the page-and not big moves, mind you, teeny tiny, minuscule nudges around the page.

I know, I'm ridiculous.

Of course, it didn't help that halfway through my awesome resource (see how I'm building suspense?) I got momentarily distracted inspired and ended up redesigning my entire blog.

Oh yeah, I made this from scratch. By myself. Google helped out, too.

No more generic template for this girl-my blog now has a one-of-a-kind design. And I love it. (Can you tell?!?!)

Wouldn't you know, my freebie that I made just for you is pretty darn awesome, too! (Not that I'm going to tell you what it is yet. Suspense. Duh.)


Charlie and I had a lovely walk this morning-it was nice and cool, the birds were chirping, he barked at every dog in the neighborhood (and the nice old man that was just trying to say "Hello").

This afternoon while I was creating, Charlie took a nap. I'm pretty sure this dog should be named "Pretzel"-I really have no idea how he gets himself into some of his crazy positions. Stranger yet, he actually sleeps while contorted. Weirdo.

This position doesn't actually look all that weird at first. But then you realize that there's something crazy going on with those front paws. And the dangling leg. He's just too cute for his own good.

Anywho--I know you're just DYING to know what I've cooked up for my 50 Follower Freebie! So without further ado, may I present to you...


The Laura Ellison
Independent Reading Journal of Awesomeness!!!!!
(What? Too much?)


You get:
  • 4 color covers (with a super cute chevron background
  • 2 black and white covers (one with chevrons, one without)
  • A journal checklist
  • Book Fact Sheet
  • Daily reading log
  • Character Portrait
  • Setting Snapshot
  • Point of View Postcard
  • Book Review
  • Journal completion/scoring sheet
  • 2 Daily Journal pages (4 designs)

Basically, your kids can use this with any book that they're reading independently. Consider it...an alternative book report. And, it's an easy way for you to hold them accountable for their independent reading. 

On the daily reading log, they can log how long they read and how many pages they read. After the finish reading, they fill out (half) a journal page. Because there are two entries on a page. In their journal entry, they write a short summary of what they read that day, and then make a connection to the text (which is GREAT practice for those pesky extended response questions!). 

There is a TON of fun stuff in this set! Seriously, I am in LOVE with it! 

Since you were one of my first 50 57 followers, you get it for free!!! Yay, you!!!

You better hurry and download it, because it won't be free forever! It'll be $3.00 in my TpT store starting Saturday, so spread the word! It's too late for this freebie, but you can still get buy it in my TpT store!

Enjoy your evening!




24 comments:

  1. This is such a great freebie! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    Miss Klohn
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the new blog design! Thank you so much for this amazing freebie! I am beyond excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the freebie! And ditto for the blog design. I'm excited to see and hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie is adorable. Thanks for the reading packet freebie.

    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that little dog! And you're welcome!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reading freebie... so excited to use it next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo-I'm so glad you like it! You'll have to let me know how it works out when you use it!

      Delete
  6. Love your new look! How did you create it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Well, my creation process probably wasn't the prettiest, but I went through the HTML code, found all of the image URLs, figured out what they belonged to on my blog, and then replaced the URLs with my own files that I uploaded to PhotoBucket. A little messy, and probably not properly done, but it works for me!

      Delete
  7. Love the look of your blog, Laura! I am your newest follower and I love the Reading Response Journal! Thanks for the freebie!!!!!

    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie
    Find me on Facebook!
    Follow me on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, and I'm so glad that you like the freebie-it makes me SO happy!

      Delete
  8. I love your cute fur baby! Your new design is wonderful and I am so impressed you did it yourself...way to go!

    Thank you for the great *freebie*! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks-I love it, too! And you are so welcome!

      Delete
  9. Love, Love, Love... the way you write, the way you designed your blog, your cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're making me blush! Welcome to the party!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hmmmm...because I'm feeling particularly generous at the moment, I'll send it to you if you give me your email address! :)

      Delete
  11. Great blog! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a hardcore coffee addiction! :oP I'm your newest follower!

    Josh
    Mr. B's Beach Brains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Coffee addicts unite! Thanks for following me!

      Delete
  12. Love, love, love your design! Thanks for the freebie, too! I'm your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a commnet(that's how I found you).

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love new followers-it makes me feel like the cool kid at school! I'm glad you like the new look!

      Delete
  13. I have purchase this resource from TpT and think it is fantastic! Are you able to explain to me the Journal Completion / Scoring page? Ta!

    ReplyDelete